Re: Release plans

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:14:26 -0700

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
The decision on whether to include a dynamic linker in Emacs
does not directly affect users' freedom.  (It doesn't change the license.)
What is affects is which changes we facilitate and which changes we don't.

The case of XRefactory and its harmful effects on CEDET illustrate the
kind of harm I'm trying to avoid.  It also shows that we cannot
totally avoid such problems.  But opening a convenient door for making
them is likely to mean more of them.  I want to have less of them.

You picked a great example.

The absence of a dynamic loader makes it harder
to implement the more performance-intensive
parts of a modern IDE.

Therefore, the dynamic loader ban makes a free
software project like CEDET harder than it
needs to be.

That a modern IDE project for Emacs is so hard makes
the problem an attractive target for a proprietary software
company.   To the proprietary vendor, the difficulty of
writing the program in the first place is a barrier to entry
and will help protect future profits

In other words: the incentive to create the non-free
XRefractory comes, in part, from the ban on a dynamic
loader.

The ban has the exact opposite of the intended effect.

-t