Re: Release plans

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:10:00 +0900

Thomas Lord writes:

 > First a philosophically dubious distinction between
 > individual and community freedom is posited.

This was Bob Chassell.  That was *all* he really had to say.

 > Then that questionable distinction is projected onto
 > people's moral standing:  we are asked to believe that
 > there are those who care only about individual
 > freedom, not community, and asked to accept that
 > those people are just morally wrong.

This was Alan Mackenzie, but I don't think he would accept the idea of
community freedom as opposed to freedom for all members of the
community.

So not only have you changed the slant of their comments dramatically,
but you have also conflated two subthreads whose relation is not at
all clear, and which certainly do not stem from a coherent single
worldview, but rather accidentally juxtaposed opinions of different
individuals.

We (all) can and should do better than this.

 > What Bob and others seem to have constructed
 > here is an argument for the dynamic loader ban
 > that can be summed up:

[as an ad hominem attack.]  I don't see it, either.  I was certainly
offended by Alan's comments about ignoring the needs of some people in
the community, but I don't see it as a deliberate attack.