Re: Release plans

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:36:55 +0000

     > I do not accept, as a criterion for freedom, that it is
     > permissible to consider a person's actions divorced from the
     > effect on his neighbours.

    That's a very strange philosophy of freedom.

No, it depends on your culture.  The US, Great Britain, and to a large
extent, western Europe, think that.  But others (in the early 1990s,
Japan and Singapore, according to Charles Hampden-Turner and Alfons
Trompenaars, "The Seven Cultures of Capitalism") are more communitarian.
(You need both.  For example, one person will invent and many people
will innovate.)

Weirdly enough, over the past century or so, most independence movements
have favored communitarian culture, possibly because you cannot have
warriors or soldiers without such a culture.

    Freedom *means* that you may do something without concern for
    interference from your government or your neighbors.

That is individualist freedom.  I think it is good, but then I am
American and don't trust my government or any authority that is not
harmonizing.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden