Re: Release plans

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:48:13 -0400

    Robert J. Chassell writes:

     >     Freedom *means* that you may do something without concern for
     >     interference from your government or your neighbors.
     >
     > That is individualist freedom.

    Sure, but communitarian freedom has typically been espoused by
    leaders
    who create a personality cult around them and brook little actual
    dissent, etc.

That is often true.  Same in software.

    Software freedom is *not* about a personality that overshadows the
    rest of the community, is it?  Rather, it is a very individualist
    freedom.

Copyright law has to do with copying between people.  It is not very
individualist except that it is supposed somewhat to protect smaller
people and corporations who can afford lawyers from bigger people and
corporations who can also afford lawyers.  The current copyright law and
its implementation may not be the best mechanism for dealing with easily
transferred goods, like computer programs, but it is all we have for
dealing with those who might steal from us.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden