Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:58:01 -0400

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:06:37 -0700
"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > We are talking about Emacs here.  Emacs behavior was always that
> > > it deletes a file, not moves it somewhere.  So any change in that
> > > behavior _by_default_ will surprise Emacs users.
> >
> > Then maybe a compromize could be to tell it in a prominent way so
> > that users have a good chance to notice it?
>
> I agree that it should be mentioned prominently.
>
> IIUC, `delete-by-moving-to-trash' works similarly on all platforms
> that have some sort of trash can (recycle bin) - is that correct?
> It's important that something like this be similar for all platforms.

Maybe, assuming you have a Trash.  But where is it?  It could be the
one that Nautilus uses, or the one that Konqueror uses.  If you don't
use GNOME or KDE you probably don't have a Trash.  Then what is the
point of moving things there?

> My preference is that this not be turned on by default - that is,
> keep the traditional Emacs behavior. But I recognize the counter
> arguments. The traditional behavior here is better for overall Emacs
> use, IMO, but I won't argue about it.

I agree that any feature like this should be disabled by default.  At
least on Linux platforms, it would have to make some assumptions about
the operating environment, or jump through some hoops to try to
determine that environment precisely.

My two cents, anyway.

--
Taylor Venable            http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/

foldr = lambda f, i, l: (len(l) == 1 and [f(l[0], i)] or
                         [f(l[0], foldr(f, i, l[1:]))])[0]