Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:41:15 -0700

David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:04:19 -0400 Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>>     That's if we want to make emacs itself display the web page.
>>
>> Yes, exactly.  What else could we be talking about?
>
> Just to give you an idea (OK, that includes the compiled files):
>
> [~/src/WebKit] $ du -hs .
> 1.3G  .
>
> I'm not quite sure where you want to get the resources to realize such
> a huge project.

And it's actually much worse than that.  As far as I can tell, de
facto web standards change quickly and are defined by whatever
the main browsers (IE, Firefox derivatives, Webkit derivatives)
support.  I still prefer a deeply-integrated Emacs browser
(emacs-w3m) for many tasks, but there's just no way Emacs can
keep up with these standards.

I'm not sure if I *want* Emacs to become a web browser (just
making it easy to edit the contents of text boxes on all
platforms using Emacs, via emacsclient or otherwise, would be
plenty), but even if I did want it to, I doubt it could become
one.

Sean