Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Specifying mode in file variables trouble
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:37:01 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
> The "idle sorting" mechanism in majmodpri.el is asking for trouble.
> _anything_ for later is unreliable.

The "idle sorting" is there to avoid unnecessary sorting. It has a delay
of 0 so for most interactive use there will be no problems.

However I agree with your general point. If this is integrated in Emacs
I hope it will be quite easy to find some points where sorting most be
started if not done before. (This can perhaps be in addition to the
"idle sorting".)

> I'm not sure whether majmodpri is a useful feature, because I am not
> convinced there is a real problem to be solved.  What is a real case
> of the problem, and is there another solution?

I tried to describe the problem in the comment in majmodpri.el. Is that
comment not clear?

> But if we want such a facility, we should implement it right.  The
> right way is to insert these elements in the proper position the first
> time.

Unfortunately that can't be done. Please see the comment above.