Re: Recognize mbox files?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Recognize mbox files?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 19:38:24 +0100

   > Is it reliable enough to recognize mbox files that we could visit
   > them automatically in Rmail mode?

   I don't think so.  Mbox files are lines that begin with "From ",
   separated by arbitrary data.  There's not enough information to
   autodetect them.

What about assuming that rmail files always start witj "RMAIL" or
"XMAIL" (and ignore case-sensitivity)? Then RMAIL.foo would be a RMAIL
file, and xmail.123 would also be a rmail file.

That would work for most normal cases.  That way if you open
/com/mail/ams or some other mail spool file, RMAIL will not do
anything funny with it.