Re: Recognize mbox files?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Recognize mbox files?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:06:46 +0200

> From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 22:26:37 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> More important, rmail-mode seems to modify the file.  Dunno if this is
> a bug or a feature of rmail-mode.

The addition of X-RMAIL-ATTRIBUTES is a feature, but not the other
change.

I think it happened because you first visited the mbox file normally,
and then switched on rmail-mode.  The ``usual'' way to invoke Rmail on
a file is to type

   C-u M-x rmail mbox-test.org RET

from within Emacs.  One difference is that "M-x rmail" visits the file
in a unibyte buffer, unlike "C-x C-f" or "emacs mbox-test.orig".  I'm
quite sure the latter is not really supported by the current Rmail
code.  (The Babyl Rmail worked in that case because Babyl files are
always visited as unibyte, due to auto-coding-regexp-alist.)

> it seems that Rmail recoded iso-8859-1 encoded messages to utf-8

No, I think it's result of turning on Rmail in a multibyte buffer,
because rmail-mode switches the buffer into unibyte mode, and guess
what that does to decoded Latin-1 characters...