Re: `font-lock-extend-region-functions' vs. `font-lock-extend-after-chan

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `font-lock-extend-region-functions' vs. `font-lock-extend-after-change-region-function'
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:10:07 -0400

> what is the difference between the variables
>   `font-lock-extend-region-functions'
> and
>   `font-lock-extend-after-change-region-function' ?
> In particular, how do they relate? Which should be used for what?

Have you read the Elisp manual's discussion about font-locking
multiline elements?

The "right" answer is usually font-lock-extend-region-functions, but
it's hard to tell without knowing anything more (sometimes it's
difficult/impossible to write the necessary
font-lock-extend-region-functions).

> I face the following problem: Font-lock, perhaps just jit-lock (I'm
> using that), calls `font-lock-fontify-region-function' with start and
> end values pretty much arbitrary in the buffer.

Yes, that's normal.  That's what font-lock-extend-region-functions is for.

        Stefan