Re: authinfo gnutls netrc.el auth-sources & smtpmail-starttls-credential

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: authinfo gnutls netrc.el auth-sources & smtpmail-starttls-credentials
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:39:12 -0500

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:43:14 -0400 MON KEY <address@hidden> wrote:

MK> Some observations:

I appreciate your thoughts, but please realize not everyone has an hour
to parse all your code.  If you have specific suggestions, please make
them directly and succinctly.  I've tried to answer what I could; please
follow up with questions implicit in your code that I have missed.

MK> docstring for `gnus-message' provides some guidelines for message levels:
MK> "Guideline for numbers: {...} 9 - messages inside loops."

MK> The `gnus-message' is printed when it exceeds the `gnus-verbose'
MK> threshold (defaults to 7)
MK> Which is to say, assuming the user has `gnus-util' library loaded and
MK> his `gnus-verbose' level
MK> set at or above level 9(nine) - he may see _gnus-message_ indicating
MK> that the password/login has been cached
MK> along with a timestamp _if_ `gnus-add-timestamp-to-message' it t.

auth-source.el currently is part of Gnus, so it uses Gnus logging
facilities.  If it's moved out, we can adjust the logging.  Perhaps
you're suggesting we need an auth-source-verbose variable?

MK> Great! No Wait... any code that evaluates
MK> `auth-source-user-or-password' directly has the value returned to
MK> *Messages*
MK> regardless of the `gnus-verbosity' levels. He _may not_ see those but
MK> they may well be there anywasy

MK> `../emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-util.el' has one of these: (require 'netrc)

MK> `../emacs/lisp/url/url-auth.el' has one of these:
MK> (autoload 'auth-source-user-or-password "auth-source")

Can you explain what the problem is, please?  Is there unwanted
information in the *Messages* buffer?

MK> Also, re: my previous post:
>> auth-sources wants netrc.el per `auth-source-user-or-password'

MK> It is worth noting that the call out to netrc.el happens at compile time:
MK> (eval-when-compile (require 'netrc))

I'm not sure why that's worth noting.

MK> Alongside these really interesting autoloads:
MK> (autoload 'encrypt-find-model "encrypt")
MK> (autoload 'encrypt-insert-file-contents "encrypt")

MK> What _are_ these?

encrypt.el was my encryption API, which (through a discussion with many
Emacs users and developers) was obsoleted in favor of EPG/EPA.  The
calls you saw will be removed eventually, together with encrypt.el
itself, but I haven't done it yet (primarily due to lack of time).

MK> An experiment:
MK> ;GREAaaaat... I feel so dirty...
MK> ;=>Why are those sleeper gnus-messages are hanging around in *Messages*?

Sorry, as I said above I simply could not figure out everything you're
asking through 3-4 pages of code.  Please rewrite as simple questions I
can answer.

Thanks
Ted