Re: Tabs in Emacs?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tabs in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:52:32 +0200

>>> I would ask if there are plans to add tabs, as many modern applications
>>> have, for Emacs 23.2.
>>
>> There is already e.g. tab bar mode, but it's not part of "core" Emacs today:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TabBarMode
>
> IMHO this tabbar-mode has nothing to do with "real" tabs (as e.g.
> in Firefox) because the header-line is (mis-)used as tab-title/handle,
> so when using this mechanism to *simulate* tabs i have no headerline
> within the tabs... IMHO nothing what i would call "Tabs"...

The last time I looked at the possibility to implement "real" tabs
in GTK, there was a problem of attaching GtkNotebook to a widget.
It's possible to bind a Gtk tab to a fake widget or to the same
basic frame.  This produces a warning, but should basically work
by binding GCallback from a tab to any function that we can use
to implement Emacs-specific tab handling.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/