Re: Emacs 23.1.90 pretest

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1.90 pretest
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:18:04 -0500

>>> You can avoid that if you use cvs rtag.
>> I thought rtag was the problematic one.  I always use `tag' instead, so
>> I know it tags exactly the files I'm seeing at the moment.
> The right way is to use rtag, then do a fresh checkout of that tag.
> That's the only way to guarantee a consistent tag.

"consistent" in which sense?

>> Then you can use that tag to export those exact same files to build a
>> tarball, no matter what else happens on the trunk in the mean time.
> As you can see with the EMACS_PRETEST_23_1_90 tag, this can result in
> the wrong revisions to be tagged.

I really can't imagine why "tag" would be a problem.  "tag" is suppose
to tag exactly the revisions of the files you have currently checked
out, so if those files are fine, so is your tag.

Luckily, I soon won't have to worry about such CVS idiosyncrasies
any more.

> As a result the git tree is unable to accurately represent that tag.

I can definitely imagine lots of cases where it might be very difficult
to represent tags properly when translating from CVS to something else,
regardless of how the tag was applied.

        Stefan