Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:39:04 +0100

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman writes:
>
>  > In a situation like that it is possible to set up for autoloading
>  > things by downloading them from the web without compromising security
>  > (or at least not more than when you download a file yourself) since
>  > you know which files will be downloaded.
>
> Why would the user know which files would be downloaded, and from
> where?  The whole point is to do it automatically, without troubling
> the user.  If the user is going to go to the trouble of *carefully*
> verifying sources and so on, little is saved.  On the other hand, it
> would be easy enough to register a domain like "savannah.gnu.org.to",
> and a lot of folks might miss that, if they even looked at all.
>
> Think of this like rules against talking on your cellphone while
> driving.  Cellphone use is not an absolute guarantee you'll kill
> somebody, and abstinence from cellphone use is no guarantee you
> won't.  Some people do use cellphones responsibly while driving, and
> so on.  But for the typical driver it does vastly increase the risks.
>
> And so does any automated downloading and execution scheme.

While the comparision is funny it is not quite fair ;-)

To answer your questions:

* The user should not have to know much, only the starting location
for the download.
* It is thereafter the already downloaded files that have information
about what to download.
* This will hopefully ensure that only trusted files are downloaded.

* The information about what to download is basically in autoload and require
* ... because during collection of autoloads the relative file paths
are also recorded.
* ... and this information have been downloaded first.
* The downloaded files will be in a mirrored tree structure to where
they came from.

* The price carries of course a defadviced require that does this magic.
* It would be possible to download many of the Emacs core files this
way, actually
* ... but of course it is more meant for external packages.

Unfortunately the whole thing fails at the moment because of bugs in
url-copy-file... - some timeout or something. I have never cared to