Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:10:49 +0100

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 19:30, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The package manager should support multiple package repositories.
> [...]
>> 3. The FSF repository
>
>> This would contain only packages that are of could quality and
>> generally useful AND for which copyright assignments have been
>> filled out.
>
> For political reasons, we only want to support repositories where
> the copyright is owned by the FSF.

I do understand. But that hopefully does not imply that you want to
discourage other people from creating other repositories, or does it?

Even when the other repositories are not supported by the FSF they
can still be of use for users and can also be used by the FSF to find
libraries that are worth to be included (e.g. where the author should
be contacted fill out copyright assignments).

> We also may want to support or
> notion of package quality, tho.  Also I find it important that multiple
> versions of a package can coexist at the same time

Yes, I also think that this is desirable.

> (within reasonable
> feasability constraints: we don't need to handle multiple versions in
> a single Emacs sessions).

Anything else wouldn't make any sense.

-- Jonas