Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:53:05 -0500

    >Unable to obtain lock
    >sftp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk/.bzr/branch/lock
    >held by address@hidden on host benthic [process #13025]
    >locked 6 hours, 10 minutes ago

That was me.  (I don't connect to the Internet very often.)  I was
trying to download for about four hours this morning, but not for 6
hours.  It was clearly something wrong.

This afternoon, I moved my /usr/local/src/emacs/ directory to
/usr/local/src/emacs-09dec29 and restarted, following the
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs document exactly.  I
gave up after a few hours, after getting 181780 kilobytes according to
`du -s'.  According to the progress meter, the download was less than
half done.  I have an old laptop with a half gigabyte of RAM.  The
wireless connection I use might be broken (I cannot fix it -- it is
not mine, but is the only way I can connect.  It works for other
connections, as you can see:  I am SSH'd to fp.gnu.org to mail this
message, but am writing conveniently on a different Emacs on my home
machine.)

In any case, I thought I had downloaded a bzr version that worked
yesterday (I used it successfully today for other things) but it
turned out to fail with sending mail so I have started an older Emacs
and am using that to write this message.  Also, because of a change in
Debian testing, I am no longer coming into X as `bob' but doing the
same as `root' with `sudo -i -u bob rxvt' in my root Enlightenment
.xinitrc file.

I have tried to download the latest CVS version every morning and build
it with the following, and then use it:

   (progn
     (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
     (cvs-update "/usr/local/src/emacs/" '("-dPA")))

   ;; usually takes less than half a minute and 18k
   (progn
      (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
      (compile
       "time make -k -C lisp autoloads EMACS=/usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs && \
        cd lisp && \
       time make cvs-update EMACS=/usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs && \
       cd /usr/local/src/emacs/ && \
       time make info html"))

   ;; make may take 20 minutes; usually takes a minute or so
   (progn
     (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
     (compile "time make -k"))

So far, so good!  Only occasionally has there been trouble and it has
been fixed within 24 hours.  But I may not be able to download the bzr
version.

What should I do?  Please remember, I am dumber than I was.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                                 address@hidden