Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bazaar: "unable to obtain lock"
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:39:43 -0500

address@hidden (Robert J. Chassell) writes:
>    >Unable to obtain lock
>    >sftp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk/.bzr/branch/lock
>    >held by address@hidden on host benthic [process #13025]
>    >locked 6 hours, 10 minutes ago
>
>That was me.  (I don't connect to the Internet very often.)  I was
>trying to download for about four hours this morning, but not for 6
>hours.  It was clearly something wrong.
>
>This afternoon, I moved my /usr/local/src/emacs/ directory to
>/usr/local/src/emacs-09dec29 and restarted, following the
>http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs document exactly.  I
>gave up after a few hours, after getting 181780 kilobytes according to
>`du -s'.  According to the progress meter, the download was less than
>half done.  I have an old laptop with a half gigabyte of RAM.  The
>wireless connection I use might be broken (I cannot fix it -- it is
>not mine, but is the only way I can connect.  It works for other
>connections, as you can see:  I am SSH'd to fp.gnu.org to mail this
>message, but am writing conveniently on a different Emacs on my home
>machine.)
>
>In any case, I thought I had downloaded a bzr version that worked
>yesterday (I used it successfully today for other things) but it
>turned out to fail with sending mail so I have started an older Emacs
>and am using that to write this message.  Also, because of a change in
>Debian testing, I am no longer coming into X as `bob' but doing the
>same as `root' with `sudo -i -u bob rxvt' in my root Enlightenment
>.xinitrc file.
>
>I have tried to download the latest CVS version every morning and build
>it with the following, and then use it:
>
>   (progn
>     (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
>     (cvs-update "/usr/local/src/emacs/" '("-dPA")))
>
>   ;; usually takes less than half a minute and 18k
>   (progn
>      (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
>      (compile
>       "time make -k -C lisp autoloads EMACS=/usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs &&
> \
>        cd lisp && \
>       time make cvs-update EMACS=/usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs && \
>       cd /usr/local/src/emacs/ && \
>       time make info html"))
>
>   ;; make may take 20 minutes; usually takes a minute or so
>   (progn
>     (cd "/usr/local/src/emacs/")
>     (compile "time make -k"))
>
>So far, so good!  Only occasionally has there been trouble and it has
>been fixed within 24 hours.  But I may not be able to download the bzr
>version.
>
>What should I do?  Please remember, I am dumber than I was.

Wow.  I don't know why Bzr ballooned that much when trying to branch; as
far as I know it "worked fine for me", but then maybe my machine just
has enough memory that I didn't notice.

If you want, just grab this file:

  http://www.red-bean.com/kfogel/emacs-bzr-repository.tar.gz

and unpack it as your emacs/ development directory.  That carries you to
the end of "Initialize Your quickfixes Branch" section in the
instructions (you'll have to edit emacs/trunk/.bzr/branch/branch.conf to
say "bob" instead of "kfogel", of course).

-Karl