Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:34:46 -0500

     > This is a paradox -- an appearance of contradiction that comes from
     > a misunderstanding.

    But the misunderstanding is yours.

I chose not to cast blame for it; I tried to point out the shift of
topic in a way that didn't criticize anyone.

It is clear that the shift came from you.  Your message was a response
to mine, and it shifted the topic subject in the way I described --
from whether we are amoral, to whether others are.  However, I am not
trying to castigate you for that.  Your message claimed to show a
contradiction in the free software philosophy, but my aim is not to
counterattack, only to show there is no contradiction.

    Of course it's not.  But taking a moral stance does not imply taking
    *your* moral stance.

This particular moral stance is that of the free software movement and
the GNU Project.  This project is based on that stance.

You are entitled to your own views, of course.

    No, it doesn't, because it doesn't explain why you refuse to use a
    single word, "ecosystem", that emphasizes the existence of variety
    (including but not restricted to variety of moral stances) and the
    behavioral interactions that entails.

People distribute and use software in a variety of ways; that is the
present situation.  We say some are good and some are bad.  Our goal
is to put an end to the one that are bad.

The term "ecosystem" is unhelpful for this goal because it implies a
nonjudgmental approach to that variety, and our whole purpose is based
on judging them.