Re: Bind `q' to `quit-window' or similar in *Messages*

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bind `q' to `quit-window' or similar in *Messages*
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:40:47 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> PS: BTW, I've often felt that C-x C-q should turn on the undo-log when
> making a buffer writeable.  It hasn't bothered me enough to actually
> code it up and try it, but maybe people could try it out and see if it
> leads to problems.

Undo in a buffer that's frequently updated automatically can be
pretty annoying...

It would actually be nice if there were some way to make undo only
operate on user edits, and simply ignore automatic insertions etc
(this is a problem in comint too), but I get the impression that's not
entirely trivial, since the undo-list contains absolute positions.

[There was a previous thread on this too; forget what the resolution
was, but I think there was some existing code written for some mode or
another to do this.]

-Miles

--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I