Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: file-truename, convert-standard-filename
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:55:40 +0100

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 01:17:06 +0100
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> I think the description in
>>
>>   (info "(elisp) Standard File Names")
>>
>> is wrong.
>
> ``Wrong'' means it is in error or inaccurate.  Can you please point
> out these errors and inaccuracies in the documentation?

Yes, of course. I thought I already did.

This part of the manual speaks about Emacs "standard file names". It
looks to me like that is file names like "~/.emacs".

convert-standard-filename does convert such file names to something
the OS understands. That is correct.

However convert-standard-filename does more than that, ie more than
its name maybe suggests. It actually converts any Emacs file name to
something the OS understand. This could be more clearly stated in the
manual.

>> and forgets about
>> the necessary file name syntax translation that
>> convert-standard-filename also does to make the file name fit the OS.
>
> Which translations it forgets?

See above.