Re: visible-bell patch for Mac OS X

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: visible-bell patch for Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:54:33 +0100

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev:

Another minor issue I've just found is disappearance of scroll bar
when dragging an edge between mode lines horizontally (i.e., to change
the width of windows):

  1. emacs -Q
  2. C-x 3
  (2.5. Optionally, C-x o followed by C-x 2)
  3. Drag the edge between the mode lines at the bottom center in
     order to move the scroll bar horizontally.

Then the scroll bar at the center disappears until you stop dragging.
This does not happen when GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1.

(It would also be interesting to compare the result of the above
experiment between NS and Mac ports.)

Can you file this as a bug?

David De La Harpe Golden writes:

So I think gtk+ guys mean there's a way for emacs to request
gtk to continue to use "native" (real X11 child) windows at the gtk/gdk level:

Well, there is a way to do it app-globally- set env var GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1

It can be done programmatically without resorting to globally use GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1. The issue here being, is this just a temporary fix, i.e. will this option go away in future Gtk+ versions? My gut feeling is yes, so I tried to not go that way.

        Jan D.