Re: Commit netiquette.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Commit netiquette.
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:13:31 +0900

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:
>    "bzr log --line" and "C-x C-f ChangeLog <RET>" are different
>    operations. We're talking about the use of the bzr tool (including
>    graphical interfaces), not about ChangeLog.
>
> The two contain the same information, so essentially they are the
> same.

No.

The short summary represents _extra_ information.  It may be derived
from the same original source in many cases, but the editorial decisions
required to construct a summary are non-trivial and useful.

Of course, people could also provide summary lines in a ChangeLog --
e.g., prefix a classic ChangeLog entry with a "SUMMARY:"  line.  Indeed,
I'd recommend that people do this, even though it's not a part of the
classic ChangeLog format (I do this sometimes when adding a single
cohesive change that touches many files); it makes ChangeLogs easier to
read and more useful.

-Miles

--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen