Re: OT: threats to Free Software (was: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: OT: threats to Free Software (was: AW: Fwd: CEDET sync)
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:48:35 -0500

For cell phones, we need a cell phone whose software is free.
OpenMoko tried to do this, but did not get it done well.  I hope
someone else will try.  However, this involves manufacturing hardware,
so the FSF is not in a position to do it.

There are people who want to use reverse engineering to make free
drivers for some Android phones.  I don't see much connection between
this and Emacs.

Even if all the software in a phone is free, it can still
be used to track you, so people who are against Big Brother
will still decide not to use them.