Re: Integrating package.el

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:30:26 -0700

>>>>> "Phil" == Phil Hagelberg <address@hidden> writes:

Phil> Stefan also mentioned supporting having multiple versions of the
Phil> same project installed at once. Rather than supporting this by
Phil> allowing multiple versions to coexist in a single install
Phil> location, I think it makes more sense to allow multiple install
Phil> locations.

I consider these to be orthogonal.

You need multiple install locations to let package.el manage additions
in site-lisp, and also (maybe -- there are some questions here) the
load-path for packages which are included with Emacs but also released
separately.

So suppose Emacs starts up and sees, say, 3 versions of gnus: one
included in Emacs, one in site-lisp, and one in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.
Which one should be activated?

Right now the obvious answer would be the newest one -- but Stefan wants
to let the user pick a specific one.  So, I think we'll need a bit of
additional metadata about this.

Tom