Re: Integrating package.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:55:52 -0600

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 20:17:23 -0700 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

Tom> I think the default should be to activate the most recent package, and
Tom> to activate a package at install time.  So, if the user picks a specific
Tom> older version to activate (or equivalently deactivates the most recent
Tom> version), record that, and take it into account during activation.

So it's a version override alist, where a missing entry implies the user
wants the latest?  Do you mean something like this:

((package1 (repository1 path-to-specific-version1))
 (package2 (repository2 path-to-specific-version2)))

or am I misunderstanding something?

Tom> This would also need some changes in package-activate and the package
Tom> menu mode, and also we'd have to store some more info somewhere in
Tom> ~/.emacs.d/elpa/.

If this is just an alist it could be stored with Customize and not as
part of the repository itself.  Conceptually it seems to be at the
global level, not per repository.

If the repository list is customizable and global (as I think Phil's
changes assume) then the overrides could simply be part of the
repository list:

(setq package-archives '((repository1 :overrides (package1
path-to-specific-version1))
                         (repository2 :overrides (package2
path-to-specific-version2))))

Ted