Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:45:19 +0100

James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> The most important use of the scroll bar in a keyboard-controlable app
> like Emacs is as a visual reference to the size of the buffer as compared
> to the size of the visible window.

Agreed. Some configurations doesn't work very well for this,
though. That's the reason I configure with --whitout-toolkit-scroll-bars

> That only works when it is near the text.

I disagree. I have (vertical-scroll-bars . right) and see no decrease on
its informative purpose, even on a wide 160 column display.

Scrollbars on the left looks funny to me. Maybe because I was a Windows
user and now a KDE one, and hence I expect to see the scrollbars on the
right.

IMHO, if what RMS says about the newcomers' convenience having
preference is the definitive criteria (and I think it is a good one)
scrollbars should be on the right, where most people expect to see them
nowadays and thus decrease the weird/intimidating first impression that
Emacs may convey on prospective users.

[snip]