Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right b

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r99650: Put scroll-bar on right by default on UNIX.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:50:23 -0400

> It's based on the assumption that the user will use the scroll bar to
> scroll.  That's not true for all users -- for instance, I would never
> use the scroll bar to scroll in Emacs, because the keyboard is so much
> more convenient.
>
> The scroll bar can also be used to see where in the buffer you are.
> It is not necessary to use the scroll bar for this, since the mode
> line gives the same info.  But some people may have the habit of
> getting it from the scroll bar.  Maybe people who use the scroll bar
> that way would prefer it on the right.

I think the solution floated earlier can address this: those who want to
use the scroll bar as a visual aid should compile without GTK tool bars,
and we should place such tool bars on the left by default, where they
traditionally are in Motif and other old X apps.  GTK tool bars should
be placed on the right by default, like all other GTK apps.