Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:37:20 -0400

    It does have many more effects.  The most significant one is that any
    self-inserting key typed when the region is active will cause the region
    to be deleted before the char is inserted.

Is this true even when the region has been activated by keyboard commands?
If so, perhaps it is a bug.  Perhaps the feature should only apply when
you make the region using the mouse.

It would be useful to see precisely what the beginners said who
complained about the current defaults.  What were their use cases?
Did they make the selections with the mouse, or with the keyboard?
Writing to them now to discuss this could also be useful.

My guess is that they were using the mouse to select, and that they
would be happy if we made mouse-made selections interact with the
following editing in the way they are used to, while keyboard-made
selections could act in the traditional Emacs way.

This might make everyone happy, and we could painlessly make it the
new default.

I could also be mistaken, so it is useful to see what they say
about the idea.