Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:01:36 +0100

Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 18 2010, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>

>> I take it for granted that if we enable something like
>> delete-selection-mode, we'll only make it do something when the region
>> is active, so people who turned t-m-m off will only be affected when
>> they do C-u C-x C-x or when they do C-SPC C-SPC to explicitly activate
>> the region (or when they select with the mouse).  In this sense, people
>> who turned off t-m-m pretty much won't be affected.
>
>         I like the functionality of highlighting the region whenever
>  the mark is active -- which is the only reason I have t-m-m turned
>  on. Is there another way of achieving that, without having all the
>  highlighted region disappearing on me accidentally, as it does now?

While I would love to use your experience to bolster my stance,
delete-selection-mode has not been enabled by default yet.

So it would appear that we should find a different culprit.  Either
delete-selection-mode has been enabled by your distribution defaults, or
you are experiencing a different problem.

It would be good to know.  Do you consider any of the following likely?

a) you marked the region with the mouse, then hit DEL or backspace.
   This currently deletes the whole active region.

b) you clicked on one end of the region with mouse-3 _twice_.  That is
   the Emacs way to kill a region with the mouse.

I don't have a good idea what, short of delete-selection-mode, would
cause your pains.  So what is the output of

M-: delete-selection-mode RET

for you?

--
David Kastrup