RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:59:26 -0700

> >> Maybe use secondary-selection for the Emacs version?
> >
> > No thanks. We're looking for less confusion, not more.
>
> Please explain. Is anyone really using secondary-selection? (I do have
> one library using it, but I do not use x so I am not sure whether it
> is used otherwise.)

Explanation: Face `secondary-selection' is for the secondary selection. End of
story.

Anyone use it?  I, for one, use the secondary selection all of the time.

1. I use my own extensions for it, including a secondary ring, analogous to the
kill ring.

I bind `C-M-y' to a `secondary-dwim' command that I use to both set the
secondary and yank it. `M-y' cycles the normal kill ring or the secondary ring,
depending on whether it follows `C-y' or `C-M-y'.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SecondarySelection#secondary-sel.el

2. I also use the secondary with the mouse - especially handy with
`delete-selection-mode'. Double-click, yank secondary - here and there. My guess
is that others do this too. If not, I don't know why not (unless they never use
a mouse).

3. I also use the secondary with isearch. I have `C-SPC' during isearch toggle
putting the active region around the search hit when you exit. When that's on, I
can selectively replace search targets with the secondary.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IsearchPlus

The beauty of the secondary selection is that it isn't affected by the changes
to the `kill-ring' or where the region is. Extending the single secondary
selection to a ring has the same effect as the vanilla Emacs extension of a
single-item clipboard to the kill ring.