Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:27:29 -0400

    I have a meta-question in this context: How many users need to be
    surprised by any feature, and how much do they need to be bothered by
    it, before news of this comes back to the developers? I realize that
    this question is probably nearly impossible to answer, but I wonder
    if it is necessary to actively go out and gather such evidence, or if
    it is enough to just sit back and wait for complaints to come rolling
    in.

It is useful to actively see what new users think, by teaching people
to use Emacs and seeing where they have problems.  That's how we found
out that some do want self-insertion to replace the region, and that's
how we found out that some want the opposite.