Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:44:19 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Let's make shift-selection and mouse-selection _identical_ with regard
>>     to the outcome, with regard to visuals and semantics.
>>
>> That seems like a good idea to me.
>
> _All_ types of visible selection should be the same, including t-m-m
> (C-SPC + movement) selections, to the greatest extent possible.

Could we agree to focus on the things first on which we can agree?  To a
degree that we don't think anybody will need to customize them?

It narrows down the remaining fights.

> Yeah, I know, mouse-selection is currently "special".  It shouldn't be
> -- that was a bad decision.  Adding shift-selection to the mix just
> makes things worse.

There were reasons for making mouse-selection special.  Enough reasons
that people might want it to _be_ special even if we might end up with a
non-special default.

But I think that we can make shift-selection the same as mouse-selection
and save us _another_ special case to worry about with regard to
semantics and customization.

--
David Kastrup