Re: finder.el UI

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: finder.el UI
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:29:50 -0500

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:19:15 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I tried it and it's a browser that deadends at the commentary.  Wouldn't
>> it make sense to at least let the user browse the original package
>> sources?  But this is still much better than the old finder and I would
>> get rid of the old one.  But you mention another finder:

SM> Indeed, maybe we should move finder.el to lisp/obsolete?

Works for me.  But Juri's `finder' looks better than `info-finder' so
perhaps `info-finder' can be folded into it.

>> Either way, users who look for packages also like to install and
>> activate them,

SM> All packages bundled with Emacs (i.e. all those found by finder.el) are
SM> already installed and activated.

I thought it would make sense to link what package.el will manage into
finder.el and other Emacs facilities, so this would no longer be true.
finder.el would show (clearly marked regarding their state and repo
origin) available, installed, and activated packages; there would also
be a way from there to install and activate a package, either internally
or through a link to the package.el UI.  Do you disagree with that
proposal?

Ted