Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build broken in Fmake_network_process
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:12:09 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 00:28:01 +0900
>
> Haven't you recently removed quite a few #ifdefs and #defines in the
> process of pruning away code for supporting extinct *nix systems?

Dan did it, yes.  But again, extinct Windows systems contribute
exactly zero #ifdefs.

> I think you and Richard are making a mistake by
> ignoring the costs those #ifdefs and maintenance of the Windows code
> do impose on non-Windows developers, and saying that it's only an
> issue of whether Windows developers want to support it or not.

I don't ignore these costs.  I cannot speak for Richard, but I don't
think he ignores them, either.

I do think that the costs are not too significant, especially since
most of the Windows-specific code is in separate source files.  There
are currently 188 #ifdefs specific to Windows in non-Windows sources
of Emacs; for comparison, there are 112 "#ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS" and
100 "#ifdef HAVE_NS".