Re: make dist target for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make dist target for Windows
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:24:05 +0300

> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 09:52:40 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> However, as this option is a close relative of `strip', I'm afraid
> that it might not work, for the same (unknown) reasons stripping the
> dumped Emacs executable doesn't work.
>
> I agree that if it does work, it's a good idea to pursue.

Just tried it (GDB 7.0), and it does appear to work.  There's one
annoyance, though: "objcopy --add-gnu-debuglink" produces an invalid
executable, probably for the same reason `strip' doesn't work.  So GDB
cannot locate the debug info file automatically, and you need to
manually load it with the `symbol-file' command, inside GDB.  You will
then need to "source .gdbinit" manually as well, because the various
breakpoints it sets automatically won't work until GDB has the symbol
table loaded.  After that, I was able to start Emacs under GDB and
step through its `main' code.