Re: make dist target for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make dist target for Windows
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:10:07 +0300

> Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:31:16 -0600
> From: Christoph <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Find v4 of the patch attached.
>
> Major changes:
> - configure.bat takes multiple --distfiles arguments for packaging more
> than one library in the binary distribution
> - configure.bat verifies that all specified distfiles exist and warns if
> they don't
> - updated INSTALL documentation

Thanks.  A couple of nits:

> +set distFilesOK=1
> +echo ...all distfiles found.
> +goto :distFilesDone
> +
> +:distFilesNotFound
> +set distFilesOk=0
> +echo ...%fileNotFound% not found.
> +set distfiles=
> +goto :distfilesDone

You set distFilesOk here, but you never unset it before exiting the
script.

In general, type "set RET" after running the script, and pay attention
to any variables from the script in the environment -- they need to be
unset before you exit the script.

> +dist: install-bin
> +     $(CP) $(DIST_FILES) $(INSTALL_DIR)/bin
> +     $(CP) README.W32 $(INSTALL_DIR)
> +     zipdist.bat $(INSTALL_DIR) $(VERSION)

Hmm... did you try running "make dist" with some sh.exe on your PATH?
I think it's not a good idea to rely on a Unixy shell to know how to
run Windows batch files.  I would suggest to invoke through the
Windows shell explicitly:

        $(COMSPEC) /c $(ARGQUOTE)zipdist.bat $(DQUOTE)$(INSTALL_DIR)$(DQUOTE)
$(VERSION)$(ARGQUOTE)

The $(*QUOTE) stuff is needed in case $(INSTALL_DIR) includes spaces,
but please test that this works, both with cmd.exe and sh.exe as the
shell, because I didn't.

> BTW, Eli, thanks for taking the time to review this with such attention
> to detail. I appreciate it.

Thank _you_ for working on this in the first place.