Re: Installing changes from branches

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Installing changes from branches
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 18:08:04 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 16:19:23 +0200
>
> For instance, if you begin hacking into something that seems easy but
> later discover that it is a deeper issue, turning `quickfixes' into a
> feature branch is trivial.

How is that trivial?  It's a bound branch under your suggestion.  "bzr
unbind" is not exactly a common command, and the wiki warns:
"Unbinding has some unintuitive consequences; be careful."

Or did you mean something else?

> If you were working on `trunk' you'll need to
> create a feature branch and merge `trunk's uncommitted changes into it,
> which may be tricky on some cases, as if you have new unregistered
> files.

   cd ..
   bzr branch trunk fix-something
   cd fix-something
   bzr merge ../trunk --uncommitted
   cd ../trunk
   bzr revert
   cd ../fix-something
   [and hack in the branch]

If by ``unregistered files'' you mean files not yet added to bzr, then
the above sequence of commands is not much more complicated.

Most importantly, one needs to _think_ before they start hacking, and
one of the important questions to ask oneself is "is this change
really a quickie?".

So I still maintain that having two branches bound to trunk is going
to be pure useless overhead, most of the time.  YMMV, of course.