Re: Installing changes from branches

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Installing changes from branches
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 18:17:34 +0900

Jan Djärv writes:

 > Something like a collapsed merge would be good, i.e. merge from
 > quickfix, but only record it as a single commit.

That's "cherry-picking."  bzr doesn't do that terribly well.

A cosmetic workaround is to use "bzr log -n 1" (which I AFAIK is the
default) to get that view.  (That may be why you weren't aware of all
the additional log messages.)  The problem with that is that core
maintainers (especially release managers) are going to use
"full-depth" logs ("bzr log -n 0") to get a more detailed view of what
people are actually doing.  It probably doesn't solve this problem.

The following options are available, I think:

  - the "loom" extension; this is like a mating of Andrew Morton's
    quilt and Mercurial queues on steroids; undocumented
  - the "rewrite" (aka rebase) extension (designed for cherrypicking,
    but not great and not well-documented lask I looked)
  - the "pipeline" extension (very similar to Mercurial queues);
    undocumented
  - the "shelve" feature (a one-off way to save incomplete work)

Sorry I don't have time to go into detail.