What have the Romans done for us? (Bazaar)

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: What have the Romans done for us? (Bazaar)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:56:37 +0000

Hi, Emacs,

Would somebody please remind me of all the advantages Bazaar has over
CVS, all the wonderful things it enables one to do.

Right at the moment, it just seems like a slow, slow, slow and buggy
replacement for CVS, which consumes several hundred megabytes of my disk
space more than CVS did.  There doesn't seem to be a bzr equivalent of
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcv; bzr log is so slow (40 seconds) as
to be only somewhat useful.  Even updating one's repository takes many
minutes, something which took only a few seconds with CVS.  Worst of all
is the lack of a proper fine manual; what there is is available only in
html or "bzr help", neither of which is properly searchable; what there
is is also bloated and vague and generally of low quality.

At Stefan's suggestion, I tried

  $ bzr diff -r tag:EMACS_23_1 lisp/progmodes/cc-*.el

.  This crashes bzr.  I've just updated to the latest version of bzr
(2.1.0), and it still crashes.  So keen are bzr's developers to get
decent bug reports that they make you register (on "launchpad") before
they'll deign to permit you to submit one.  They insist on you
submitting this bug report via a script running in a web-browser.  That
script fails on my machine, so I'm stuffed.  Anybody know a mail address
to get in touch with the bazaar team?

So, yes, bzr is wonderful, because it's a DISTRIBUTED VCS, and
distributed VCSs are Good Things.  Would somebody please remind me why?

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).