Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.

From: A. Soare
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch.
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 19:33:27 +0200 (CEST)

I did understand what he did; I did the same 2 years ago, and gave up, because
it is a rude method of implementing tabs for emacs in this manner.

I suggest you to do something like that:

opening a new tab, a function will initialize the structure of that tab.

For example, if you want a tab to represent a window-configuration, it will
need an initialization function like that:

(let (new-tab (get-current-window-configuration))
     ...)

or , if you want the tab  to switch to *scratch* buffer,

(switch-to-buffer *scratch), etc

Every tab should have also a function of hide-event, in which it saves its old
configuration, like

(setq new-tab (get-current-conf))

etc.

You might need a tab to represent a buffer of a compilation, or to start a
compilation and switch to its buffer. In this case of use of a tab, you need no
need of initializing a tab as a win-conf, etc.

It will be needed a local environment to a tab, such that the function
associated to close/switch/hide be able to find the same new-tab variable, as
initialized by init-function, and be hidden in other tabs, etc

I suggest you not to hurry to install the tabs as implemented by Jan D. Once
installed, it might be difficult in future to switch to a nice implementation
of tabs.

I have written the tabs for console, and if they are implemented as I like, I
will send it when I have time.

Please, do not hurry to install such an implementation. Please improve it to
accept lisp function for every gtk event, etc, before installing, and to
suppose nothing about what a tab is.

 Voila People a retrouvé les photos que les stars aimeraient oublier sur
http://people.voila.fr/people/mediatheque/dossiers/ces-stars-pour-qui-le-temps-a-bien-fait-les-choses.html