Re: Side windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Side windows
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:18:51 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:54:21 +0300
>
> Currently fringe positions are relative to lines (to indicate truncated
> lines, continued lines, overlay arrows, etc.)
>
> Using it to indicate window relative positions like scroll bars do
> will make a mess in the same fringe.

The proposed bitmap is very small (thin), AFAIU, so I'm not sure the
mess would be quite as big as you seem to fear.  Overlay arrows are on
the left fringe, so they do not contribute to the mess at all.  We
could enlarge the right fringe (in compilation-mode) to make the mess
even smaller.

An alternative could be to use the margin for this.  Its advantage is
that it will also work on a TTY.  But I think this would be a larger
job because currently margins are not clickable, while the fringe is.