Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:20:40 +0200

>>>>> "David" == David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

David> On Apr 13, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Christian Lynbech wrote:

>> While it could be that emacs-w3m does not do the right thing with
>> mailto, it is still so that one cannot really know what `browse-url'
>> really points to.

David> Well, that's Emacs, or Lisp, if you will.  You never know how a
David> function is implemented...  Users/third-party packages can
David> override a lot.

True, but I think there is a difference between, say,
`calendar-lunar-phases' which does something completely deterministic
(however it is implemented) and then `browse-url' which is just an
interface to a host of different applications. I *know* that
`browse-url' may mean different things on different systems.

>> Wouldn't it be a solution to just directly do what `browse-url' was
>> normally expected to do rather than relying on the user or the
>> third-party package having set everything up correctly?

David> Have a look at browse-url.el.  What would this be?

As I just wrote to Jeff, I would actually it by using Safari directly
when on Darwin. We are anyway doing special things for Darwin (choosing
mailclient over sendmail) and on Linux we are fine with selecting a
system function we know to be there, why couldn't we just do the same
for Darwin? It is not that we want to involve the user in our calling of
a browser, we only wants something that works, and we can rely on Safari
being on a Darwin as much as we can rely on sendmail being on a Linux
system.

Alternatively, we should fix `browse-url-default-browser' to also work
on Darwin and Windows and use that instead of `browse-url'.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)