Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:14:09 +0200

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> The problem is that for most users configuring sendmail is difficult

This is true but it could be that there are ways of using sendmail where
one would be less reliant of its configuration.

This was the situation for me when trying to change to using the
sendmail client. The default value of `mail-specify-envelope-from' is
nil meaning that we rely on sendmail to generate the envelope and this
requires sendmail to be setup correctly which apparently isn't the
default on OSX. However, by setting the variable to true, emacs
generates the envelope and now mails are getting delivered since they
have a legitimate envelope which many mailservers wisely seem to
require.

The point I am trying ot make here (without being a great sendmail
expert) that it may be possible to excert enough external control over
sendmail to ensure delivery, at least for nodes directly connected to
the internet. If you are in a situation where you need to authenticate,
other approaches must be used.

The biggest problem with sendmail (at least on OSX) is that (as David
mentioned) it may fail silently. Sendmail will in a number of cases
happily put the mail into the queue and then fail to deliver it later.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)