Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:19:56 +0200

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM, David Reitter <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Jeff Clough wrote:
>>
>> So it throws a mailto: URL at the OS and the OS is responsible for
>> invoking the associated application?  If that is true, then that is very
>> cool.
>
> Yup.
>
> It should really work like that on GNU/Linux as well; but we can't rely on
> the middleware to do this there - someone please correct me if that's wrong.

I think this will not work very well in some cases for those using web
mail. For some of those I believe mailto:-links only works from within
the browser. (At least that is what I see on w32 with gmail.)

A solution to this is writing a temporary html file. This could also
include more instructions, something like this:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>
  <head>
    <title>Bug Mail Sender for Emacs</title>
  </head>
    <h1>Bug Mail Sender for Emacs</h1>
      The content of your bug report has been placed on the clipboard.
      Click on the link below to start your mail program and then copy
      the content from the clipboard.
         >address@hidden subject</a>
    <hr style="margin-top:4em" />
      <b>Note:</b> Should the above link for some reason fail then
      please start your mail program yourself and send the report the
      address above. Below is the message body again in case you lost
      it in the clipboard:
    <textarea cols="72" rows="20" readonly="readonly"
              style="font-size:small; padding:10px;">
Here should be a copy of the users bug report.
    </textarea>