Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:34:24 +0100

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> If there *is* a non-empty set of people who want
> to work on it, they should speak up and we can try
> to organize such an effort - the first step of which
> would be to convene elsewhere besides this mailing
> list.

Judging by
<http://wingolog.org/archives/2010/04/02/recent-developments-in-guile>,
it is being worked on.  The claim is that there's an emacs lisp compiler
to guile that gives (or will give RSN) a faster implementation than that
in Emacs.

I presume the language will be equivalent to current emacs lisp (so that
wouldn't force the rewrite and perhaps spur the improvements you'd like
to see), on the other hand not having to rewrite the lisp libraries
would make it an easier sell.  Presumably it could easily support
lexical binding (and closures) and other features.

Nothing wrong (IMHO) in proceeding to improve emacs lisp by integrating
the lexical-binding branch, perhaps adding hygienic (or other) macros,
etc.

[...]