Re: VC and bzr.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: VC and bzr.
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:52:13 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That means that `bzr log -n0' would end as a mess of interesting and
>> trivial stuff, but `bzr log' would hide key developments.
>
> Sorry, I don't get your point.  How is that different from "git log" vs.
> "git log --first-parent"?

Both `bzr log' and `git log --first-parent' are screwed by the workflow

merge from trunk into my feature branch
then, push to trunk

See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/120336/ for an instance of
what happens when somebody does that.

The problem is not serious on git because it doesn't make hard
distinctions among the parents of a merge point (unless you explicitly
request it). This is reason why `git log' shows all the DAG by
default. But bzr makes that distinction. On it relies bzr's capability
of assigning sequential numbers to commits, for instance.