Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p (was: Performance)

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p (was: Performance)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:34:03 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> likely the same with "C-a" "C-e" for logical movement as contrasted to
>> <home> and <end> for visual movement.
>
> To this, I object.  I made the left/right arrows and their
> Ctrl-modified siblings move to the left resp. right, regardless of the
> logical buffer order, because this is what users of bidirectional
> scripts expect -- they are used to it in every other bidi-aware
> application out there.  By contrast, <home> and <end> always move to
> the beginning resp. end of the current line, they have no relation to
> either left or right directions.

If there is going to be an entire suite of commands for doing visual
motion, then it makes sense to have a uniform setting of key bindings
for them.  Key bindings can always be changed by the users (famous
last words!).

The issue with C-n has been that the meaning of the command was
changed, not just a key binding.  It would have been less of an issue
if it was just a key binding.

Cheers,
Uday