Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:47:41 -0400

> (I am still dubious about decoupling the arrow keys and C-f/C-b
> keybindings.  Maybe we should provide a separate set of keybindings
> instead.)

It's actually not really decoupled.
It just switches between "C-f = right and C-b = left" and
"C-f = left and C-b = right" based on the paragraph's direction.
Which seems eminently meaningful since the associating between
"forward" and "right" is just based on our usual convention of
writing L2R.

Now addmitedly, the particular place where the choice between the two
forms of coupling is made is up for discussion: it could be based on the
direction of text underneath point (basically, make the arrow move
visually rather than logically), or based on the direction of the
paragraph (what we now have), or based on user preferences (default
depends on the locale).  I don't have a clear preference, but I think
that the current choice is  pretty good compromise between "no need for
customization, auto-adjusts to mixes of L2R and R2L buffers" and "still
move in logical rather than visual order".

        Stefan