Re: Frame ordering

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Frame ordering
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:10:36 +0200

Lennart Borgman skrev 2010-06-14 18.47:
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 6:29 PM, David Reitter<address@hidden>  wrote:
On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:

What is the reason not to let the window handler do this job? Why
should Emacs do it?

Absolutely.  Up to now I've been going by the comment quoted elsewhere in this
thread, stating that we'd have to do it ourselves.

Was not what you shown (Command-Tab switching) what the window handler
on OS X does? If so then trying to interfere with that is probably a
bad idea (and is prevented actively by at least w32).

Of course internal Emacs frame switching must be handled in Emacs. I
have personally never used any command inside Emacs for frame
switching, but I can see such needs. (One of those is for example
letting C-x 5 0 show the next Emacs frame instead of what the window
manager chooses if a window manager command is used to close the
frame.)

I haven't followed this closely, but any attempt to make Emacs do frame switching in X11 is doomed to failure on some window managers. Window managers doesn't need to honor raise-frame.

Besides, why should C-x 5 0 select another Emacs frame? I often use a non-Emacs app, make a new Emacs frame, do some editing and then C-x 5 0 to get back to the non-Emacs app, even on OSX.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

        Jan D.