Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 15:36:16 +0200

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 01:49:52 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Recentering happens whenever you are at the bottom of the screen if
>> some conditions are met. I can reproduce it with this:
>>
>> - Open window.c
>> - Goto line 702:
>>
>>                            + WINDOW_HEADER_LINE_HEIGHT (w)),
>>
>> - Turn on wrap-to-fill-column-mode. Turn it off again.
>> - Turn on visual-line-mode
>> - I have (window-width) = 55, height 34.
>> - Position to W in WINDOW (it is on a wrapped line)
>> - Use C-L to get this to the bottom.
>> - Press down arrow.
>
> With the latest trunk, I cannot reproduce this: pressing the down
> arrow just scrolls by a single line, as expected.  However, I'm not
> sure I did all the necessary steps.
>
> First, how did you get to window-width of 55?  I just resized the
> Emacs frame.

Same.

> Next, there's this:
>
>> (Note: wrap-to-fill-column-mode justs adds add wrap-prefix here. Which
>> is for some reason does not remove. Bug ;-( --
>> wrap-to-fill-column-mode is of course part of nXhtml, but probably you
>> can just add a fill prefix on the whole line that is equal to what the
>> line indentation have.)
>
> wrap-to-fill-column-mode is complicated.  If you still see the problem
> with the current trunk, please show a recipe that does not use
> wrap-to-fill-column-mode, but instead sets the fill prefix and/or
> whatever else is needed to reproduce this problem in "emacs -Q".

I told that recipe when I mentioned wrap-to-fill-column-mode.
Mentioning that mode was just a way to accomplish that much more easy.

Unfortunately I can not test now for these reasons:

- It takes some time for the changes to reach Launpad.
- You have said you implemented another way to avoid the scrolling bug
and that will clash with my way.

I found it a bit disturbing if you just implemented another way. I
can't say if it is right or wrong until I have seen your patch but
from our discussion it looks to me like you at least before
misunderstood the problem.